Creating agile organizations is hard work, requires patience, humour, and long-term commitment. It can take many years to simplify your organization and discover how to make agility work in your organization. But once you have been through all that, you ought to be able to react more effectively to changing market conditions
In this 3-day course, participants explore how to guide an Agile transformation and how it affects the organization design, from product definition, team composition, roles and responsibilities to your appraisal system. In particular, we delve into:
- The role of senior management.
- How to do just enough preparation to successfully start your transformation.
- How to successfully launch the product group and prepare to work in the new organization design.
- How to work with teams in a large group.
- How to guide the product ownership of a large product group.
The course, developed by Cesario Ramos and Ilia Pavlichenko, is based on their book: Creating Agile Organizations, and uses a combination of instructor-led and activity-based learning where participants work in small groups. Participants leave this course with an appreciation for the agile mindset and how to deal with common adoption mistakes. They gain the knowledge and understanding about how to make informed decisions about their transformation that will be most beneficial to their organization.
Course Learning Objectives
- Understand how to work with senior management in the transformation process.
- Understand how to design your organization for adaptability and highest value delivery.
- Study the system’s dynamics to define the product and prepare the Product Group
- Prepare and launch the Product Group into its first iteration.
- Sustain the teams, product ownership and management.
- Understand the impact on management, processes and structure of your organization.
- Understand how you can help your organization take the next step.
Day 1 – Agile Organization Design
- Designing for Adaptability.
- The key structural unit of an Agile Organization: The Product Group
- Impact on roles, structure and process.
- Flow Efficiency v.s. Resource Efficiency.
- 12 Organization Design Guides
- Organization Structure: How to structure the product group and surrounding organizational units.
- Processes & Integration: How to Coordinate and integrate across units
- People Practices
Day 2 – Preparing the Organization
- Adoption Approach
- Coaching for Change
- Understanding Current Reality
- Create a Perfection vision
- Defining your Product
- Designing your Product Group
Day 3 – Launching a Product Group
- Applying Systems Thinking to optimize for Adaptability
- Preparing the first iteration
- Setting coordination
- Team Lift offs
Supporting the Teams & Product Ownership
- Guiding Teams.
- Guiding Product Ownership
Certified Agile Organization Coach
All participants receive an Agile Organization Coach certificate and get a copy of the book: Creating Agile Organizations.
Who Should Attend
The Creating Agile Organization course is for people in manager roles, change leads, senior consultants, coaches and Scrum Masters that support a large-scale Agile transformation effort.
By Cesario Ramos
Cesario Ramos works worldwide as a senior management consultant on large-scale Agile adoptions in the financial and high-tech industries. His international experience, strong background in technology, and passion for people make him an influential partner in organization design and in leading the adoption of Agile. Cesario has a MSc in mathematics and computing science from the University of Eindhoven and is also a Certified LeSS (Large-Scale Scrum) Trainer and Professional Scrum Trainer from Scrum.org. Outside of his consulting work, Cesario has served as a Java/C# developer, lead software architect, CTO, and product manager. He is also the author of Create Agile Organizations, A Scrum Book, and EMERGENT: Lean & Agile Adoption for an Innovative Workplace.